Karl and Jill Newleyweds

Karl and Jill Newleyweds

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Has It Been A Month Already?

This past month has gone by quickly...as all months seem to lately.  It was fun to do the blog challenge and I was always checking to see who had new ones. Now I have to be sure I remember to check them.

We are appreciating the weather cooling down a bit even if it means we are in the 90's instead of the 100's.  My favorite Season is approaching and I'm pretty excited for it!! Karl is still busy working (thank goodness he still has a job) and some of his days are still quite long.  We love our time together. Even the 2AM Wed mornings we go Merchandising!  We have fun out there with all the other crazy people working at the grocery stores. :D

I have been doing part time work off and on for the Doctor's wife (who I worked for when I first moved here but didn't stay because I didn't want to work 50+ hours a week) ever since I stopped working in their office.  She is one of the nicest people I know and I appreciate her friendship and the work she gives me to do.  It has mostly been computer work and banking stuff but she has now asked me to teach her daughter piano lessons and also to work as an Aide at her daughter's school in her class, splitting the days with her so she can go work at the office.  She pays me well so I can't refuse.  ;)   Her daughter is 9 years old and has Down Syndrome.  She is in the Kindergarten class, her first experience in a classroom.  It is a Private School so the class size is about 16. Kind of reminds me of when I worked at Carden School in Tehachapi.   It is a new experience for me as I have not had the opportunity to work with children who have special needs.  This was my first week and I have learned a lot.  Isabella, or as her Mom calls her "Bella", calls me "Miss Jill" and sometimes she is glad I am there and calls me her friend and sometimes she would like me to go away.  She is adjusting to her Mother not being with her all the time.  It has been both challenging and rewarding.  Piano lessons will be a slow process but she likes music and likes to sing so I think she will learn.

Speaking of piano....my visiting teacher, who works at a Senior Citizen Physical Therapy place...asked me if I would be interested in teaching a 65 year old man, who has been teaching himself piano for the past almost 3 years.  I told her I would give it a try.  Well, he came by last week and we talked and I looked over what books he has been using and we came to an agreement on how I would be teaching him and he starts with his first lesson this Monday.  So this, too, will be interesting!

I have started taking an Institute class on the Old Testament at our Stake Center Friday mornings.  Last time I took an Institute Class (or Adult Religion) it was also on the Old Testament.  Maybe that's why I always have liked the Old Testament as well as when I was in Seminary and had a great teacher bring it to life.  I'm hoping to stick with it but sometimes Friday mornings turn into my errand mornings.

OH!  and one more interesting thing happened this past week....I had put my resume on ldsjobs.org last year and didn't think too much about it.  I usually check the jobs off and on on there.  Well employers can see it, too, and I received a phone call from the owner of an Insurance office.   We talked for awhile, he was very nice, and he said he would get back to me the end of this week, which would be tomorrow, to let me know either way if I'm in the running or not.  I don't know how many he was calling but I thought "Ok this is great!  The employer contacts me for a job instead of me contacting them!"  hahaha  Karl thinks it would be a good fit for me but I am not getting my hopes up.  I would have to give up the Aide job with Bella... :0/  hmmmm my back might appreciate that.

So that is what has been going on just this past week.  Before that we enjoyed having the van Zwol family here visiting!  I took pics but will have to post them later.  This is a non-picture post tonight.  We love when our children and their families visit and we know it isn't the most comfortable in our little apartment so we appreciate it even more!!  Thanks guys!! Love you all!!

We are getting excited for Caleb and Dana's little guy to arrive!!!  I know not more than they are of course!! Can't wait to meet him!

In closing....Karl came home from Church last Sunday letting me know I will be getting a new calling because someone in the bishopric talked to him about it.  (gulp!)  Every other week in the Nursery is just fine for me. Not sure I'm up to more than that.  We shall see if someone actually talks to ME about this.  To be continued....

4 comments:

van Zwol Family said...

wow you are busy! That's good! Maybe it will slow down before Christmas. ;)

Caitlin and Adrian Taylor said...

Glad you updated your blog! I hope to visit you guys soon! :)

Rach n Adam said...

Glad you've got things keeping you busy! :) We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

Meg said...

Sounds like you have plenty of work, and activities to keep you going. Good luck with piano, and the insurance office job possibility. Woohoo for fall approaching! Especially for y'all! :)