Karl and Jill Newleyweds

Karl and Jill Newleyweds

Monday, November 1, 2010

Roller Coaster (Part 2)

So since Karl lost his job on Sept. 1st, we were both looking for a job for him.  We thought we would be heading up north to Salt Lake but nothing came of the applications he put in up that way.  We knew we would be moving though.  We had felt unsettled for awhile like our time was up in St. George.  We applied to Colorado and Nevada, too.  Well, Henderson, Nevada responded and that is where we planned to move.  Hostess Brands hired Karl.  The good thing is that he will get his Union benefits back that he had in California including retirement.

I was sad to know I would be getting released as Stake Relief Society President.  I knew my time was coming to an end.  3 1/2 wonderful years of service in that calling.  It will always be one of my favorite callings and I love all the women I served with.  I also loved being under the direction of Pres. Doty.  I will miss that.

I also knew it was time to leave my job as Office Manager at St. George Counseling.  I made some great friends there and was sad to leave them.  I will also treasure my almost 4 years there. I received some very nice cards and notes from the therapists and co-workers. I enjoyed being able to work with Annette there. She was my support.

So I was looking for a job, too. Karl found a receptionist job for an Orthopaedic Surgeon's office.  It sounded ok and they were willing to train.  So I sent off my resume.  Within a day they called to see if I could come down for an interview.  This was on Monday.  I was scheduled to go on Wednesday for the interview.

On Tuesday I planned to have my last presidency meeting to say good bye to my dear presidency.  Karl and I wanted to go out before the meeting. As we were traveling toward St. George Blvd. we were expressing our gratitude for Karl's new job and the adventure that awaited us in Henderson. We thought perhaps we were finally getting a little break from all the trials we had been experiencing the past few years. We talked of how much we would miss being closer to our children and family.

As we turned down SG Blvd Karl pointed to the McDonald's that was being torn down. Within a split second we ran into the back of an SUV.  Our air bags went off and my cell phone flew out of my hand.  I had been talking to Annette for a bit while Karl was driving. My chest hurt immediately and I couldn't breathe for a minute.  Karl kept asking if I was ok.  I finally could answer yes.  I also heard Annette's voice on my cell phone but didn't know where my phone was.  I told her I was ok and that I would call her on my other phone. Later I felt every bump and bruise and my neck had a lovely seat belt burn on it.

Long story short.  I was pretty bruised up and now two weeks later I finally feel like I am getting rid of the pain. I felt so bad about my little Mazda 3.  I loved that car.  I felt like it was my loyal pet dog that gave it's life to save mine.  Here is a picture of them towing my little car away. :(  Thank you Annette for coming to get us and for you and Mom helping me get through those couple of tough days.



Didn't get to have my goodbye meeting with my presidency. :(  Tried to recover enough to head to Henderson for that job interview with Dr. Craig Clark the next morning.  We made it and by that Friday I was hired to be the receptionist for Clark Sports Medicine!!  Now I am adjusting to this new job.  I have a lot to remember and learn.  I wanted to quit my first two weeks but I know it will be ok.  I keep praying I will remember all that I have learned. We do feel we were led here and there is a reason we are living here at this time.

Here is a little bio on Dr. Clark:  I don't think this is the best picture of him.  Oh well....


dr_hoer




Dr. Clark’s path to orthopedics began at Brigham Young University where he received his Bachelor of Science in Zoology having graduated Summa Cum Laude. In 1992 he received his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Nevada School of Medicine at Reno. His post graduate work took him to Louisiana State University Medical Center where he completed both an internship and orthopedic surgery residency. Dr. Clark has received certification from the National Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, as well as licensure with the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners.
Dr. Clark has been involved in multiple published articles and presentations of medical research. During his medical education, Dr. Clark was awarded First Place in the Medical Student Division Roche Basic Science Research Award at the National Student Research Forum in Galveston, Texas and the Cardiovascular Section Award for the Western Medical Student Research Forum in Carmel, California.
A native of Las Vegas and bilingual, fluent in Portuguese and conversant in Spanish, Dr. Clark has enjoyed many international volunteer opportunities which have included medical volunteer for the Red Cross and Brazilian Social Assistance Agency and orthopedic volunteer for Shriners’ Hospital Outreach Program in Central America. He currently serves as team doctor for high school athletics as well as treating physician for college and professional athletes. Dr. Clark’s specific areas of interest and training include shoulder surgery, sports medicine, and joint replacement surgery.



I so appreciate all the help we received from Alison and sisters in our ward with cleaning our house.  I was frustrated I couldn't do more but my injuries wouldn't let me.  Also for those who helped pack up boxes and load the U-Haul truck.  Grateful Alison was able to rent our house, too.  She needed a house and we needed a renter.  Everything has fallen into place.

I am experiencing homesickness though.  I have shed many tears the past two weeks since living here.  I miss my kids and grandkids.  I don't like working full time hours.  I don't like not seeing Karl as much since he has to go to bed early again.

Glad we were able to go up to SG a week ago to see Daken play football and spend time with the Steeles for my birthday. :)  Thank you Rachel for making it a special time. Love you guys!

Adjusting to a smaller apartment has been difficult for me, too.  But I think I am finally getting over the whole shock of everything and starting to count my blessings again.  Trying to focus on the positive again.  Knowing that we have been given an opportunity.  We attended out ward here together for the first time this past Sunday and it was good.  There were several who were friendly to us.  It was nice that Gayle came and went with us before she headed to St. George.  We enjoyed her company and visit.  So I was beginning to feel the spirit again after experiencing many other emotions previously including anger.  The Lord loves me and I know Heavenly Father is answering our prayers.

2 comments:

Caitlin and Adrian Taylor said...

One of the many things I love about you is that you can't be negative for long! You always find the positive in every trial! I try to do that too! I love you so much! And I'm so glad that the car accident wasn't any worse!

Meg said...

I still learn so much from you mom! I'm sorry for all that you have had to go through, especially the car accident. I am so grateful that you are okay.