Karl and Jill Newleyweds

Karl and Jill Newleyweds

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

#4 A School or Church Teacher that has influenced me in a positive way...

I am learning a lot from all who are doing this blog challenge and about myself.  In fact I am influenced by everyone around me!  I learn from my children and grandchildren.  Sometimes they are the best teachers.  My Mother was a very influential teacher to me and still is in a positive way and other family members.  Friends I have had have influenced me in a positive way and taught me and people I have worked with and served in callings with.  But that is not the challenge....

Ok....hmmmm....School -  well that was SOOOOOO long ago that it is sometimes hard to remember but I have two high school teachers that I remember fondly.  First and foremost...Mr. Paul Yale who was the Choir teacher.  I had him all 4 years and he became a friend to our family.  I learned so much from him musically and in dealing with life as a teen in high school.  He encouraged me to take the talent I was given and expand it and he gave me plenty of opportunities to share it.  It was sometimes the only thing that encouraged me to want to go to school some days. :)  The other teacher was Mr. Aronstein.  He was old enough to be retired when I had him, or he looked old enough, for U.S. History.  He made it something I have taken great interest in ever since.  I was always fascinated with the Civil War and he would crouch down behind his desk acting out various battles and use his hand as make believe guns.  He would stand as a soldier or military officer when he would quote what they were known to say.  He was bald, had a big nose, lots of saliva that you hoped wouldn't reach the front row of desks and talked like he was from the east.  Great teacher.

Church - as others have said before me there are lots of good people out there who have touched our lives.  I had Young Women leaders who really cared about me and I still am in contact with some of them.  I would have to say President Bruce Doty taught me more than I ever thought I could learn in one calling.  He was a VERY positive influence on me.  One more I'd like to mention is Sister Julie Beck.  I was fortunate to hear her twice in person and every word that came from her mouth was teaching those of us there great things.

I'll stop at that.  I know if I really let my mind start going I could come up with many others.  Of course that would be good for my mind but not for this blog. ;0)

4 comments:

Meg said...

You REALLY have a hard time narrowing things down to ONE! LOL! :D That history teacher sounds hilarious!!!

Rach n Adam said...

Wow! Very interesting to learn these things about you when you were a teenager. I agree with Megan, sounds like a fun history teacher. :D

van Zwol Family said...

I must get the hard to narrowing down thing from YOU! Fun to read though!

Caitlin and Adrian Taylor said...

I must get that from you, as well! I agree, it's very cool to hear about things when you were young! I'm learning a lot from this challenge too!